The Royal Horticultural Society's garden Harlow Carr is one of four public gardens run by the Society. It is located on the western edge of Harrogate in the English county of North Yorkshire
The garden is the most recent addition to the RHS, acquired by the merger of the Northern Horticultural Society with the RHS in 2001. It had been the Northern Horticultural Society's trial ground and display garden since they bought it in 1946. In the year ended 31 January 2010 the garden received 217,820 visitors.
The Garden is situated on Crag Lane, off Otley Road (B6162) about a mile and a half from the centre of Harrogate.
Harlow Carr has:
It also has a shop, plant centre and Bettys Cafe Tea Rooms.
Springs of sulphur water were discovered on the site in the 18th century but development of the site as a spa did not take place for over a hundred years. In 1840, the owner of the estate, Henry Wright, cleaned out and protected one of the wells and four years later built a hotel and a bath house. People were charged 2s 6d (12.5 new pence) to bathe in the warm waters. The gardens were laid out around the bath house and in 1861 the site at Harlow Carr springs was described as:
a sweet secluded...